3 Nutritious Meals to Savor the Flavors of Autumn
As the leaves change color and the air turns crisp, fall brings with it a bountiful harvest of seasonal ingredients. Embrace the flavors of autumn and nourish your body with these three delicious and nutritious fall meals. From comforting soups to hearty grain bowls, these recipes will warm your soul and satisfy your taste buds while providing essential nutrients to keep you healthy during this vibrant season.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup:
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for roasting
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Toss the butternut squash chunks with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Arrange them on a baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, and garlic, and sauté until softened.
- Add the roasted butternut squash to the pot, along with the vegetable broth, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender to puree until smooth.
- Adjust the seasoning if needed and serve hot, garnished with a sprinkle of nutmeg or roasted pumpkin seeds.
Autumn Harvest Grain Bowl:
- 1 cup cooked quinoa or your preferred grain
- 1 cup roasted Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup roasted sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 cups baby spinach or mixed greens
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Lemon-Tahini Dressing (2 tablespoons tahini, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon water, salt, and pepper to taste)
- In a bowl, layer the cooked quinoa, roasted Brussels sprouts, roasted sweet potatoes, cooked chickpeas, baby spinach, dried cranberries, and toasted pecans.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the tahini, lemon juice, water, salt, and pepper to make the dressing.
- Drizzle the dressing over the grain bowl or serve it on the side.
- Toss the ingredients together before eating to combine the flavors. Enjoy!
Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal:
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk or your preferred milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts or seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in the chopped apple and nuts or seeds if using.
- Pour the mixture into the greased baking dish and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the oats are tender and the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Cut into squares and enjoy warm.
Fall is a season of abundance, and these three nutritious meals celebrate the flavors and ingredients of autumn. Whether you’re warming up with a comforting bowl of roasted butternut squash soup, enjoying a wholesome autumn harvest grain bowl, or indulging in the delightful apple cinnamon baked oatmeal, these recipes are sure to nourish your body and delight your taste buds. Embrace the season and savor the goodness of fall with these delicious and satisfying meals!