Let’s truly make it the happiest season of all!
The holiday season starts with dazzling lights and a hint of warm spice in the air… but for many people, that festive spirit often gets swept into the stress of planning, indulging, and overspending. You lose sight of your best habits and your health, weight, and lack of fitness become guilt-ridden items on your list for New Year’s resolutions.
Show of hands if this sounds a little too familiar?
GOOD NEWS: you’re not alone. And if you’re reading this, you’re about to change the game for your 2020 holiday season! We’ve rounded up our top 10 realistic ways you can stay healthy throughout the holidays and actually keep your spirits high and bright. No super strict regimens or fads, just some simple and effective tips and reminders to have your peace of mind and eat your candy cane too!
Without further ado (and in no particular order):
1. Remember that treats are OK. Life is about balance. You’re not going to crumble like a gingerbread cookie just because you eat one (or two).
2. Take time for yourself. Need a getaway from your family? Squeeze in alone time, whether it’s ten minutes at the end of the day or two hours in the middle, take the time you need to recharge your social batteries.
3. Prioritize workouts you LOVE. Things get busy. Don’t worry about the perfect fitness schedule. Instead, just prioritize the workouts you genuinely enjoy — from CYCLE to FP FIFTY, choose your favorites so it never feels like a chore.
4. Schedule your workouts! Pencil them in on your calendar, set reminders on your phone, or literally write them on paper. This helps you stay accountable to your plans.
5. Similarly, write down your goals. Finish 2020 strong and set yourself up for the new year before it’s here. If you need help with this, lean on us! We are pros at goal-setting who can give you a structure to achieving your purpose for 2021.
6. Sweat to destress. When you’re feeling the chaos creep in, you need to find an outlet. Sweat is the best way to manage whatever these busy times bring you. A good way to sweat, enjoy some cardio, or take a fast-paced GROUP class, like Zumba or BodyCombat.
7. Remember that self-care is not selfish. If you want to be available to give to those around you, you’re going to need to prioritize your own well-being first. When you neglect your own self-care, it becomes difficult to provide for others.
8. Be consistent with your healthy habits. We thrive in routine and the holidays often shake that up. Find consistency in whatever you can during this time to feel a sense of calm through the chaos.
9. Get outside! A literal breath of fresh air does wonders for the mind, body, and soul. Take a walk, a run, or even just a few moments sitting on a bench. Slow your breath and let those exhales linger.
10. Savor the little moments. Sure, things can get crazy over the holidays, but remembering to be grateful for everything (and everyone) that you have can help you stay aware of what’s truly important.
Remember, the holidays are what you make it. You might not be in total control of the festivities but you are in charge of your experience through it all. Being realistic with the ways you can actually stay healthy and safe throughout this time of year allows you to enjoy the real magic this season has to offer.
We’re here to sweat it out with you! Consider us your little elves, working hard to support you with all your health and fitness needs. Join us at the FITNESS PROJECT nearest you and let’s kick this season off the right way!
PS. Need the perfect gift? Share your love for FITNESS PROJECT and fitness with a friend – give them the gift of fitness for the holidays! We can surely help!